It is important to have effective SEO title. According to statistics, 80% of users do not read articles beyond the headings, and the time for which a person decides whether he remains on the page or leaves it is 5 seconds. Obviously, Internet readers have become more sophisticated, and it’s increasingly difficult to attract their attention. Now experts have to devote more time to creating content, in order to fight for users and their time in every possible way.
If in traditional journalism the main emphasis was still on the content of the article, then in the Internet space the headlines began to rule the ball. The title of your article is a hook that you can hook users into and make you stay longer on the site.
So how do you write a good headline that will attract readers?
1. SEO title should be current
In general, the main rule of absolutely any sphere is to be relevant. From this it follows that it is necessary to write about things that concern the audience here and now, as they say, “for the evil of the day.” Thanks to the “hot” trends, you not only can bring your material to the top of the search engines and get additional traffic to the site, but also provide the audience with material relevant to them.
2. SEO title should reach your target audience
Of course, the very text of the article should meet the audience’s requests: be written in a language close to it on topics that interest your audience. The same moment applies to the headlines. Try to specify in the title of the material at once, to which audience the text is calculated: depending on the level of their knowledge (beginners, practitioners, professionals), their social status (professionals, managers, businessmen), their interests (design, SEO, beauty bloggers), etc. .
Examples of headline that target specific audiences:
- Web Designers: How Users Learn Planting
- How to find a digital leader (crib for businessmen)
- The Case of Internet Marketing for Owners of Medical Clinics
- SEO for Dummies: how to optimize the site with your own hands
- For beauty bloggers: the trends of the Autumn of 2018
3. The title should contain the keyword-markers
On the Internet you are just on a search query, so if you want to move forward in hyperspace, then you should love SEO, and the optimization instruction should become your reference book. We will not explain in detail that the keywords should be spelled out in all the main meta tags of the web page – this is self-evident. In order for your material to be indexed by search engines with high positions and attract as much additional traffic as possible, the key query should be listed in the main heading of your article.
Which search query groups can be used:
- Information from the semantic core of your resource (“SEO-promotion sites”)
- Brand (“By what principle Google ranks sites”)
- Competitive (“SEOnews told about the principles of work of its editorial office”)
- News (“Google announced a new ranking algorithm for sites”)
- Practical instructions (“How to promote websites on the Internet”)
Please note that by mentioning in the titles of well-known brands or your competitors, you will be able to capture also foreign and related traffic.
4. SEO title should be short
According to recent studies by The Guardian, readers are most likely to perceive short headlines of 8-10 words. In addition, it is considered that headings should fit into one line, at most in two, and headings of three or more lines are considered to be strictly unacceptable. Laconic headings are easier to perceive visually, the user takes less time to understand the essence of the article, which means that readers will soon understand whether they want to read such material or not.
Examples of short headings:
- How to take the company abroad
- The best chat bots in Telegram
- Microsoft Office from the inside
- Monetize your project
- Formula of the ideal team
5. Figures and facts increase CTR headings
The trend of the last time – figures began to be believed more than unsubstantiated statements and general phrases. Thanks to numerous A / B testing, experts came to the fact that people are more willing to switch to articles in the name of which there are specific numbers, percentages, amounts and numeric facts.
Examples of headings with specific digits:
- The “Rain” TV channel lost 80% of viewers during the day
- Chinese companies reduced their number of acquisitions abroad by 77%
6. SEO title should be intriguing
The main purpose of the title is to interest the potential reader. The shortest way to cause interest in the user is to create an intrigue and mark it in the title of the article. And intrigue, as you know, you can use white and black methods. White – to tell the truth and just take out the “very juice” of the material in the headline.
However, often experts speculate on the sincere interest of users and deceive them, and the title of the articles do not correspond to the content – in this case you will get a fair share of dislikes at best and at worst – a flurry of negative comments will come upon you. If your goal was to collect as much as possible a HYIP, then, of course, you are doing everything correctly. But if you still care about the reputation of the company and you are fighting not only for the number of the audience, but also for its loyalty, it is better not to deceive your users, and leave the jaundiced headings to the newspaper company.
Good examples of intriguing headlines
- How we gave up managers and pulled the company out of the crisis
- These phrases startups will scare off investors
- Uber: why the most profitable taxi-platform is bankrupt
- “Someone needs a head to transplant.” Putin on the governors
Bad examples of headlines with intrigue:
- Shock: Father fed his son with dirty socks
- Lolita Milyavskaya has a third chin
- Only 1 product and excess weight goes with the morning stool
7. SEO title should be creative
Creative headlines with an unconventional look at perfectly ordinary things can bring a smile to the audience. This rule is optional, but any creative headlines in which established social phrases are used in a different meaning, increase the clickability of your headings. You can also connect pleasant memories of users: make a re-phrase of a well-known phrase from a film or a cartoon, humor of a famous satirist (preferably not in the spirit of Petrosian and the Anschlag team, as this company evokes a rather negative reaction), songs of a popular performer or media person (again It is desirable to focus on the best representatives) or well-established folk phrases or phraseological units.
Examples of creative headlines:
- One Million Scarlet Positions
- I have a sixth
- No one is an individual to die
- The Legacy of Leopold’s Livestock
8. Use rhymes in the SEO title
Another variant of using the creative approach in headings is to rhyme the title. Recently, the demand for unusual and creative, including poetic techniques, has grown in the society. With a rhymed approach, even if users do not switch to your article, at least they will note the wit of the authors and remember your resource from a positive point of view.
Examples of rhymed headings:
- The saga of compulsory motor insurance
- In the state of Utah will be cool
- Ambush for the Zoo
- To Bush in the soul
- The case without a body
9. Use the “proven” schemes
If you do not know which headline to come up with, use the ready-made headline models that always collect a lot of traffic.
Examples of working header models:
- Questions (“How to whiten your teeth?”)
- The solution of the problem (“Teeth Whitening Methods”)
- Personalized headlines with direct appeal (“Do you bleach your teeth?”)
- Lists / ratings / collections (“8 Ways to Whiten Your Teeth at Home”)
- “Yellow” headlines (“For the teeth whitening Muscovite promised to kill her husband”)
- The marker of the name of the expert / star / brand (“Olga Buzova told how she whitens her teeth”)
- “Magic” words: the most, free, new, fast, easy, unique, special, etc. (“Free method of teeth whitening”)
- Personal experience (“How I bleached my teeth in 2 hours”)
- Secret headlines (“The Secret of the Snow-white Smile”)
- Speculation on fears (“The terrible truth about teeth whitening!”)
- Errors (“Errors that everyone commits when whitening their teeth”)
- Comparison (“Which is better: chemical or ultrasonic?”)
10. Test the SEO title on your audience
Remember: when you are engaged in the production of content, you must constantly analyze the reaction of your audience to it. It may also be that a serious business audience willingly responds to “jaundice” tricks and low-key humor, although you could not foresee it and always went along the beaten track for years. It may also be that your audience does not need any word-making and roof-creative creatives and that they respond best to dry headlines with a simple statement of fact. Test and taste your audience!
Formula: how to write a good SEO title
In matters of producing content for the user audience, you need to remember: there is no ready-made formula. Even if you do everything on the basis of a successful case of creating effective content from a well-known brand, do not forget that any content depends on the audience for which this content is created. Your audience is living real people who do not stand still, but always develop and can even change their tastes. So the secret of successful content is obvious, although not easy: a lot and constantly work and always keep your hand on the pulse of time. Have fun!